Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Uncle Doug!

I still can not believe it has been 7 years since I have seen your face, heard your voice, or had you wrap me up in your famous bear hug. I know you are still with us...but it just is not the same.

My Uncle Doug was the best person I have ever known. I was his little turd. I remember sitting in this huge recliner at my grandpas when I was little at Christmas time and he would sneak up to me and tickle me until I cried, then he would hug me for a while, then he would start all over again! He was so full of life and love for his family....what I wouldn't give to have him back with us.

The cancer took him from us in March of 2005. The very last time I saw him was at his benefit in Monroe. He was wearing his famous overalls, cowboy hat, and cowboy boots. I was SO excited to see him. I walked up to him to introduce him to Josh and I couldn't even say hi before he wrapped me in his arms and shouted "My God you are beautiful!" .....Little did I know that would be the last bear hug I ever got. I remember leaving shortly after that and right before I walked out the door something stopped me and I turned around to watch him play his drums (he LOVED to play the drums and was SO good at it). A small part of me knew that would be the last time I would see him....

I try not to be sad when I think about him or talk about him because I know he would want me to smile in his honor. God knew it was time for him to go Home, and I have accepted that. I know that I will see him again someday, and I know I have one heck of a guardian angel smiling down and watching over me and my family.  Happy Birthday Uncle Doug....I love and miss you more than words could ever explain!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment